CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS |
December 24, 2008
CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS
Posting date: 12/23/08
Stationed in: Iraq
Milblog: Rocinante's Burdens
If you are struggling for some last minute gift ideas for that deployed person in your life, here are a few hints:
1. Get over it. You blew it. Christmas is in two days. There is no earthly way you can deliver a gift here in time. Try harder next year. Despite the Obamanator being elected, there will be a next year.
2. Some ideas that used to be good are no longer good. Last year, flash drives were all the rage. But thanks to Chinese hackers, flash drives (USB drives) cannot be used in any DoD computer system, which includes the MWR ones. The risk of another crushing virus is too high.
3. Candy. Also no good. Speaking on behalf of the offices I have been to recently, we are buried in candy, cookies and baked goods. Plus we still get all the free food we can eat at the dining facility. Granted, some troops are more "deployed" than others, so your mileage may vary.
4. DVDs. Yes. But don't get the $5 Wal-Mart specials. They are on special because no one wants to watch them. Also don't get the $20 first run movies. Most of us have already seen the pirated versions for only $4. What we can't get are DVDs of our favorite TV shows. So record them on DVR, then burn them to a disk and send 'em. Some of those made for TV miniseries are also quite good.
5. Hearing from the folks back home never gets old. Tell us how you are doing and what you are doing. Burn some home videos of our favorite people to DVD and send those. Nothing special, just friends and family doing normal stuff that we would be doing too if we were there.
So now you know what to get. Why are you still just sitting there? Get going.
Oh... rum balls also are a tasty treat, appreciated by everyone but the Baptist chaplains.