The Sandbox

GWOT hot wash, straight from the wire

Welcome to The Sandbox, a forum for service members who have served or are currently serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, returned vets, spouses and caregivers. The Sandbox's focus is not on policy and partisanship (go to our Blowback page for that), but on the unclassified details of deployment -- the everyday, the extraordinary, the wonderful, the messed-up, the absurd. All correspondence is read, and as much as possible is posted, lightly edited. If you know someone who is deployed who might have something to say, please tell them about us. To submit a post click here.

VERBOSITY, VIOLENCE AND CHAOS |

April 21, 2008

VERBOSITY, VIOLENCE AND CHAOS
Name: 1SG Troy Steward
Posting date: 4/21/08
Returned from: Afghanistan
Milblog: bouhammer.com

I was browsing one of my favorite milblogs the other day -- Matt Burden's Blackfive -- and came across this video, sent in by SSG Ryan Creel, that I think does a good job of highlighting and demonstrating the verbosity, violence and chaos that exists in a typical firefight. Granted this is a two-dimensional view of a 360-degree moment, and it is absent the chest-pounding booms, smells, and fear that the guys are experiencing, but it gives the viewer a little appreciation of what 10% of the time in combat is like. Typically the other 90% is boredom.

Comments

Despite the absence of absent the chest-pounding booms, smells, and fear it certainly reiterated how awesome these guy's are.

HUH?

what the hell where they shooting at?

with a batallion of guns?

Targets? What were your targets? It looks like a highly organized, uniformed drive by shooting.

I know, I know. Hard to get WAR just right.

Dude, they're SpecWar.

That actually looks pretty scary. To imagine what you guys go through everyday, absolutely terrifying. I honestly believe its so great that you are willing to make a change and offering a help in hand. So appreciative I'd say. I wish you the best.

Was that a HORSE running through the street? Surreal.

Question: Are the laser tracers a help or a direct target back to the troooper? Me, I think I would turn it off. Comment?

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c5f3053ef00e551de91528834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference VERBOSITY, VIOLENCE AND CHAOS:

« Previous Article | Main | Next Article »




Search Doonesbury Sandbox Blog

LINKS


About

My Photo

FEATURED BOOK